THE GOLAN HEIGHTS
The Golan Heights is like heaven for hikers and nature travelers, with many kinds of trails including the particularly special water trails and waterfalls, hidden pools and clear springs.
- Yehudiya Nature Reserve. Just outside Katzrin, lies one of the most beautiful nature reserves in Israel. The Yehudiya nature reserve offers three main routes with water trails and great landscapes. Each route takes around 3.5 hours. The main attractions are two big waterfalls and the very special Hexagon pool. For hikers looking for even more adventure there is the ‘black gorge’ – a route that requires rappelling down three waterfalls.
- Camping – There are more than 20 designated camping sites, spread all across the Golan Heights. However if you’re up for an adventure you can also camp among the nature and live off the land.
- Hop on a horse for the day and explore the Golan outdoors. Ride through a valley or along a cliff line, and enjoy the view which will be breathtaking. The Golan Heights is also home to real cowboys, you can visit their ranches and see how they work.
- Taste the Golan Heights wine – If there is one product that we love to produce in the Golan Heights, it’s wine. The high altitude provides prime growing conditions for a wide variety of grapes. Vineyards are spread throughout the region and many are open to visitors.
- The Golan trail is a 120-kilometer hiking trail stretching along the beautiful Golan Heights, from the ski resort on Mount Hermon to the Taufiq spring by the Sea of Galilee. The trail passes through flowing streams, volcanic hills, and green landscapes, as well as various local communities. Hiking the entire trail takes approximately 5-7 days. www.golantrail.com
- The Golan Heights is a great place to go OFF ROAD – self driving in a quad bike or ATV, or enjoying a thrilling ride from the back seat of a jeep. Tours mostly include an historical and political overview of the area.
- Odem forest nature reserve – One of the last natural forests in Israel offers a variety of hikes and walks in the forest and around, with unique and divers landscape, including an ancient volcano, hidden craters, and superb views. Huge variety of adrenalin activities like ATV tours, horseback riding and off road bike ride, and a visit to the Druze villages with their grate food and unique cultural.
- The Druze villages Located in the north part of the Golan, the 4 Druze villages offer a unique cultural experience with some of the best food options in the region. Combine a visit to the villages with a fantastic walk on one of the most beautiful parts of the Golan trail, or just stop in one of the local restaurant or sweets shop for a Druze delight. For these how want to dive deeper –join for a home stay visit – an experience you’ll never forget
- The Hermon stream Located at slope of the Golan, Hermon stream (banyas) is one of the sources of the Jorden River, and one of the most visited national parks in Israel. The park offers a multi option visit (in length and difficulty) from one of his 3 entrances (including also the nimrod fort above it) – the beautiful waterfall and the new suspended trail, the banyas spring, the sacred cave of pan, and the ruins of “Caesarea of philipi”, And the nimrod castle – with beautiful market trails around and between all the entries.